Sunday at West Bradenton we considered how relationships naturally drift apart. But God has designed marriage so couples can pull together especially in the area of finances. It’s no surprise that finances are one of the most stressful aspects of marriage. When two people from two different backgrounds with two different personalities come together conflict is almost guaranteed.
So how do we fight fair in marriage or any relationship for that matter? Thankfully the Bible is not silent on the topic. As a matter of fact, Scripture provides great insight in how to fight fair.
- Speak the Truth in Love. Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. Ephesians 4:25
- Hold my tongue and tame my anger. A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1
- Do not go to bed angry. Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil. Ephesians 4:26-27
- Forgive one another. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
- Deny myself and defer to my spouse. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
Seek the Lord… Lord, which of these Biblical principles of dealing with conflict are you talking to me about right now? Please fill me with Your Spirit and empower me to obey Your Word!